Thursday, December 29, 2011

That was close!

Most of the time, most of the days, cycling feels safe, enjoyable and healthy.  Then once in a while something happens that reminds me of how vulnerable I am out there among the gas powered vehicles.

Yesterday evening, while cycling home I was in front of a line of cars with other cars coming the other way.  The lead car appropriately waited to pass.  When the oncoming traffic cleared it was time for me to make a left hand turn.  I had signaled, moved into the center of the lane and again the car behind me politely waited.  But the car behind him/her did not.  Just before I crossed the center line to make the turn a car sped past me on my left after passing the car behind me.  No passing lane, no warning and my life almost ended.  Patient cycling, and patient driving saves lives.

Not sure what I would have done differently, but I sure wish I could have a word with that driver.  I'd love for him/her to meet my wife and kids, have a cup of coffee and think about what being in a hurry might have cost us all.

But today was a great riding day and I was able to get a nice rack onto the back of my UniVega road bike.  Now I'm all set with the Black Sheep for local heavy lifting and the UniVega for long distance commutes.  I see no car in my near or distant future.  Lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment