Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Of Bikes and Buses

We heard it again this week on the dukebike list serve.  A biker came close to being run over by a bus trying to pass but "having to pull over onto the biker" in order to miss oncoming traffic.  This seems to be an ongoing problem around here and, I imagine, elsewhere.  Buses are long and slow and often underestimate the speed of bikers and overestimate their ability to get around safely.  Then, with the prospect of a head-on, they crowd the biker off the road (or, if not skilled or paying close attention, under their wheels).

After such an encounter it is often impossible to get the bus driver to acknowledge any wrong-doing.  It is the bikers duty to stay out of the way!  This is not a tolerable situation, not at Duke, not in Durham and not anywhere.  Bikers have been injured and died and more will do so if things don't improve.

So I am wondering if anyone out there in bike/bus land has and leads on good educational material for bus drivers who drive in biking country.  Film or written materials would both be welcomed.  And I wonder if there is some good material for bikers who share the roads with buses.  We are ultimately responsible for our own safety and need to keep the peace with our bus drivers.  I have a couple of thoughts for "us" below.

  • When I am being passed by a bus, I slow down, sometimes hitting my breaks just to let it get past quickly.  If they are underestimating my speed, then I am more safe if my speed matches my expectations.
  • If I feel it is not safe for a bus to pass then I will take the lane and hold my left hand out with palm back to indicate for them to wait, then when safe I will pull right, slow down, and wave them around.
  • Give encouragement to drivers who operate safely.  A friendly wave or mouthed "Thank you" can go a long way in creating a friendlier environment.
  • Obey the rules of the road.  If the bus says "Don't Pass on Campus", then don't pass it, even on your bike.  Don't run along the right side of it when it is stopped at a light.  Be a part of the normal traffic and you will more likely be treated as such.
Others?

No comments:

Post a Comment